If you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner idea, ham steak is a great choice. In this article, I’ll explain exactly how long to cook ham steak in the oven along with simple preparation tips. You’ll also find three delicious ham steak recipes to try at home.
- 1 What is Ham Steak?
- 2 How Long to Cook Ham Steak in the Oven
- 3 Ham Steak Recipe Ideas
- 4 Where to Buy Quality Ham Steaks
- 5 Let’s Summarize How Long to Cook Ham Steaks
What is Ham Steak?
Ham steak refers to slices of ham cut from a whole ham roast. They are thicker than deli ham slices but thinner than a full roast. Ham steaks cook quickly since they are already fully cooked when purchased. They simply need to be warmed through and browned.
Ham steaks make an excellent alternative when you don’t have time to cook an entire ham. They provide the great flavor of ham in easy individual servings. Most packages contain two or three steaks, perfect for weeknight dinners.
How Long to Cook Ham Steak in the Oven
Cooking ham steak in the oven takes only minutes since the meat is pre-cooked. Follow these simple instructions for perfect ham steak every time:
Step 1) Preheat your oven to 375°F. You’ll want it fully heated before baking the ham.
Step 2) Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup. The ham may release juices and glaze residue while cooking.
Step 3) Place ham steaks on the prepared baking sheet. I recommend leaving space between steaks if cooking more than one.
Step 4) Bake for 15-20 minutes depending on thickness. Thinner ham steaks may take only 15 minutes. Thicker cuts can bake up to 20 minutes.
Step 5) Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before serving. The resting period allows juices to redistribute through the meat.
That’s really all there is to it! In less than half an hour, you can have delicious oven-baked ham steaks on the dinner table.
Tips for Best Results
Here are a few additional pointers for perfect ham steaks every time:
- Brush with a glaze before baking for extra flavor and moisture. Brown sugar or honey mustard work well.
- If reheating leftover ham steak, add a couple minutes to the cook time to ensure it is fully heated through.
- Use a meat thermometer to confirm safe internal temp of 140°F.
- Let rest 5+ minutes before slicing for easier cutting and better juice retention.
Ham Steak Recipe Ideas
Beyond basic oven-baked ham steak, there are so many easy ways to prepare this cut of meat. Here are three of my favorite ham steak recipes to make for dinner:
1. Ham, Brie and Apple Grilled Cheese
This gourmet twist on grilled cheese takes only minutes to prepare.
- 2 slices rustic bread
- 2-3 oz brie, sliced
- 4 oz ham steak, sliced
- 1⁄2 apple, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- Butter one side of each bread slice. Place bread butter-side down in a skillet over medium heat.
- Layer brie slices, ham steak, and apple on one piece of bread. Top with other slice, butter-side up.
- Grill 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Cook Time: 8 minutes
2. Ham and Spring Pea Pasta
This light pasta dish is perfect for spring. The sweet peas and tomatoes pair nicely with smoky ham.
- 8 oz pasta (penne, rotini etc)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 12 oz ham steak, cut into 1⁄2 pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved and roasted
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Add peas during last 2 minutes of cook time. Drain and reserve 1⁄2 cup pasta water.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Cook ham steak pieces for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned.
- Stir pasta, peas, ham steak, tomatoes, lemon juice and Parmesan together. Add pasta water as needed.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
3. Ham Steak with Grilled Mango Salsa
The sweet mango pairs wonderfully with the salty ham.
- 1 large mango, cubed
- 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, minced
- 1⁄4 red onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- 2 (8 oz) boneless ham steaks
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Make salsa by mixing mango, jalapeño, onion, lime juice and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Grill ham steaks for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with mango salsa.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
You can use a variety of boneless ham steaks like Maple Glazed Ham or Brown Sugar Ham in these recipes. Feel free to get creative!
Where to Buy Quality Ham Steaks
Now that you know precisely how long to cook ham steak in the oven, it’s time to get your hands on some. My top choice is always Hatfield.
Hatfield offers an array of ready-to-cook fresh ham steaks, seasoned perfectly for the oven or grill. Their boneless ham steaks like Honey Ham and Pineapple Ham are ideal picks for weeknight dinners.
As a family-owned company with over 100 years of experience, Hatfield specializes in simply delicious pork raised humanely and sustainably. Their ham steaks cook up tender and flavorful every time.
Check Hatfield’s store locator to find their products near you. Then grab a few varieties of pre-cooked ham steaks to test out these easy dinner recipes.
Let’s Summarize How Long to Cook Ham Steaks
Cooking ham steaks in the oven takes only 15-20 minutes at 375°F. Use a meat thermometer to confirm the internal temperature reaches 140°F. Allow to rest 5+ minutes before slicing.
Beyond basic oven-baked ham steaks, you can also glaze them or use ham steaks in tasty recipes like grilled sandwiches, pasta dishes and more. Brands like Hatfield offer high-quality pre-cooked ham steaks that are tender and delicious.
I hope this article helped explain exactly how long to cook ham steak in the oven. With this handy guide and recipe ideas, dinner just got a whole lot easier. Enjoy your oven-baked ham steaks!